It’s the little things that reveal the true character of a person. Believe me not? Consider this, you are exhausted from manual labor; you are sweaty and stink; you have lines in the dirt on your face where the salt from you sweat has left a trail; your breathing is labored and your whole body aches. Then two people come by…the first is your boss who greets you with “Take off an hour early so you can rest up to get a jump on this in the morning.” The second person pulls up in a large pick-up truck with the bed full of ice and cold bottles of water for you. Which small act would you most appreciate?
Consider this: when we do things to be seen or just for a photo-op or just for the Facebook post likes, what good is that other than self-aggrandizement? It is in the small acts of kindness that we reveal ourselves.
During the flooding in Columbia, South Carolina this past week, I witnessed many grand gestures and have noticed how many people post photo after photo of themselves “helping in the community.” Truly? You want everyone to believe your acts that you had photographed and posted were completely altruistic? In my mind, it would be better if you just stayed home and out of the way!
I saw one young boy who looked about age 4 or 5 walk up to one of the First Responders and gave them his juicebox he had just gotten from the Red Cross Truck, and then he hugged that humongous firefighter’s leg. Let me tell you something, that enormous man who would not hesitate to run into danger, broke down and cried because of this one simple act of kindness by a child who wanted nothing in return.
Small acts of Appreciated Kindness:
- buy coffee for the person behind you without telling them.
- send a Thank You Card to someone because they helped you out.
- give someone a hug who could use one.
- smile at someone who normally doesn’t smile.
- If you see someone reading…don’t start talking to them…let them enjoy the peace and quiet.
- how about the simple act of saying “Thank You”
It really isn’t expensive or difficult. It just takes a little time and effort. Give it a try! Reveal your true self by your actions!
Tags: acts, care, caring, character, help, kindness, life, live, living, love, People, random, share
If your boat floats, don’t wait for the wind, grab the oars and row!
Categories: Fortress of Solitude, Hmmmmm........, Perspectives, Wanderer's Wonderings
Tags: ideas, life, live, living, miscellaneous, owl, owls, share, think, thoughts, wisdom, wise
WOW! Work has kept me incredibly busy, but since I LOVE my job, I don’t mind at all. One thing I’ve learned is that “free time” tends to let my mind wander into things that should probably best be unwandered.
Last time I had a physical, I found it quite disconcerting that the physician seemed to want to carry on a conversation whilst poking about my bits. Perhaps it’s just because I’m an introvert, or perhaps I’d rather this part of the exam be done quickly, quietly, and with as little eye-contact or discussion as possible.
I thoroughly enjoy Shark Week, but have been curious why people would want to see how much annoying a shark will stand before it decides to bite. Actually this goes for all dangerous critters. Why would you want to aggravate a beastie just to piss it off?
Part of my job is listening to people and offering counsel. I would like to point out that it is extremely frustrating, not to mention very rude, to repeat the same issue to me over and over hoping I will offer you the counsel you want to hear. If you’ve already decided what you want to hear…we shouldn’t be talking.
Coffee is wonderful. Yep, that pretty much says it all.
Just a bit of “common sense”:
- If you want exceptional customer service, BE an exceptional customer!
- If you see me reading, please do not take that as an invitation to conversation. If I wanted to talk, I wouldn’t be reading.
- Accept that people are different, as a result, people think differently. With me so far? This means there is usually more than one way to accomplish something other than just your method.
- If you have any question as to whether the milk has soured, it’s best to go ahead and not drink it.
- Not everyone likes onions.
- While we’re on the subject, not everyone wants to hear your cellphone conversation.
- Life is short. Don’t let things go unsaid, hugs go unshared, or love go unexpressed.
- That rattling noise you hear are the other thoughts tumbling about in my cranium. I couldn’t catch them today.
Tags: animals, Customer service, introvert, introverted, life, love, miscellaneous, People, share, Shark, SharkWeek